With the Independence Day holiday quickly approaching, the West Chicago
Police Department would like to remind everyone of the state and local
laws regarding fireworks, as well as offer a few safety tips.
It is unlawful to possess, sell, use or explode any fireworks within the City of West Chicago. Those fireworks considered to be illegal include, but are not limited to; handheld fireworks, firecrackers, skyrockets, roman candles, and bombs. "Consumer fireworks" are not prohibited by ordinance and include sparklers, snakes, smoke devices, trick noisemakers, among a few others. Anyone seen violating the fireworks law/ordinance may receive a citation.
Here are a few safety tips to keep in mind this July Fourth:
- Always use common sense when handling fireworks.
- Never let a child handle fireworks unattended, adult supervision is a must.
- Always keep fireworks away from a house and any other structures.
- Keep a bucket of water or hose nearby.
- Only light fireworks outdoors.
- Do not alter or combine any fireworks.
- Do not try to re-light a "dud" firework.
If you observe anyone with illegal fireworks, or handling fireworks in an unsafe manner, please do not hesitate to call 9-1-1. The West Chicago Police Department wishes everyone a happy and safe Fourth of July!
- West Chicago
- 325 Spencer Street
West Chicago, IL 60185
- 24/7 Department
- Police Response:
The author does not allow comments to this entry